Thursday, April 9, 2009

Bucharest, Romania















Strada Progresului

Church and Fire Station
Sketching along the tramline again, this time in front of a church and fire station, just down from the marble factory. As I was sketching, the cartridge pen stopped working, so I switched to the ballpoint pen I used to use. I started with the outline of the church, and then moved to the fire station, and then the tree. After the basic outline, I focused on the overall shapes of the shadows, and the church sort of popped into 3 dimensions. Lately, I've found by focusing on the outline and the negative spaces, this can help me to get the overall proportions and make sure the towers dont run off the page, and there's an interesting effect if I focus on the shadows after that. Compared to the cartridge pen, which produces very strong blacks and whites, the ballpoint pen produces softer greys.

No comments: